Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

New SIS Director Appointed

MEDIA RELEASE
EMBARGOED UNTIL 3.00PM
Tuesday 13 July 1999


Senior diplomat Richard Woods is to become the new head of the Security Intelligence Service when current director Don McIver retires later this year.

Mr Woods has 30 years experience in international trade and economics, Prime Minister Jenny Shipley said today.

"He has held a number of prominent positions within the diplomatic corps including Ambassador in Tehran during the Iran/Iraq war, and I am confident he will fill the position of director admirably," she said.

In addition to his Ambassadorship in Tehran, Mr Woods was Deputy Head of Mission in Washington 1982-1984, headed the Middle East and Africa division of MFAT in Wellington during the Gulf war, and was Ambassador in Paris in 1995 managing relations with France at a time when French nuclear testing had resumed in the Pacific.

Mrs Shipley acknowledged the contribution that retiring director Lieutenant-General McIver had made to the SIS.

"Lt-Gen McIver has led the service through a shift in accountability in recent times. The Service is now accountable to a special committee of Parliamentarians, and an Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security who has the power to inquire into aspects of the SIS.

"Mr McIver has demonstrated considerable skill in leading the service through the change in accountability. I am sure he is pleased at the calibre of his replacement, Mr Woods," said Mrs Shipley.

Mr Woods will take up the position of director on 1 November. His appointment, made under section five of the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service Act 1969, is for five years.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels