Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 


League Club distances itself from pokie harm

 

 
...Press Release...
March 27, 2008
 
League Club distances itself from pokie harm.


In an era where many sports clubs are struggling to survive one league club is trying innovative ways of regaining community support.

The Mt Wellington Rugby League Club has been home to many league greats in its 60 year history. In more recent times it fell into a severe decline but is steadily rebuilding itself by reaching out to its local community with a message of encouragement to get involved in healthy activities.

And it's backing up this healthy message with plans to free itself of pokie funding.

Club president Dean Kini says the club wants to become a centre of healthy activities for the whole family and relying heavily on funding from the sale of alcohol or gambling grants is not compatible with this.

"The pokies are doing a huge amount of harm in our community," he says.

"We have become too dependant on this harm to keep our club going and we need to find other ways of funding our club.

"We know it can't happen overnight but that's the direction we are headed in.

"We want to make our club the centre of healthy community and sporting activities, not a place that is associated with excessive alcohol consumption or gambling."

The club is hosting a community day this Saturday where local youngsters will be joined by past and present senior club players in a range of sporting and other fun events.

The community day will be supported by the Problem Gambling Foundation and Maori Public Health provider, Hapai Te Hauora Tapui which has previously provided support with the clubs health initiatives.

Te Rihia Manning, spokesperson for Hapai Te Hauora, says that working with the club provides an opportunity for raising awareness around gambling related issues in the wider community which is a key part of her organisations work.
 
Problem Gambling Foundation CEO John Stansfield says there is a sad irony in sporting clubs that are all about healthy activities having to rely on funding from a source that impoverished the very people who supported them.

"I really admire the way this club has decided to challenge a failed funding model and set an independant course based on meeting the real needs of its supporters and the local community rather than perpetuating a cycle of harm," he says.
 
Ends
 

 

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On What John Banks And Nick Smith Have In Common

The defence that John Banks has been offering to the charges of electoral fraud – that he didn’t read the document he signed, and therefore lacked the necessary criminal intent – is a fairly standard example of political business as usual.

At a time when political power is being centralised downtown in the Executive, responsibility is being re-located to the suburbs. The Beehive seeks to operate as a blame free, shame free environment. At all times, plausible deniability is to be maintained.

Being able to put distance between the Minister and the actions/outcomes/political fallout of policy is not simply the last desperate resort of scoundrels, but the first resort of the foot soldiers in ministerial service... More>>

 

Parliament Today:

IPCA: Police Closure Of Private Party And Use Of Force Unlawful

An Independent Police Conduct Authority report has found that Police acted contrary to law in entering a private residence on Homebush Road, Khandallah, Wellington in the early hours of 5 September 2009. More>>

ALSO:

Off Benefits; Not Into Jobs: Benefit Figures Nothing To Boast About, Paula

Every time Paula Bennett boasts about a drop in numbers of people on benefits, she is indicting herself for crimes against the most vulnerable people in New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Trial Over 'Anonymous' Donations: John Banks Resigns As Minister

ACT Leader John Banks today confirmed that he has stood down from his Ministerial positions following today’s decision at the Auckland District Court. More>>

ALSO:

Dam Leak: Labour Lodges Privileges Complaint Against Nick Smith

Labour has lodged a privileges complaint against Conservation Minister Nick Smith for deliberately misleading Parliament over a Department of Conservation draft submission on the proposed Ruataniwha dam. More>>

ALSO:

Avonside, Shirley Boys 'Site-Share', Others Stay Open: Christchurch Secondary School Announcement

Education Minister Hekia Parata announced today that, following an extensive consultation process, all Christchurch secondary schools will remain open because the schools are well located and provide good access for students. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Len Brown, Trust, And Simon Bridges

Leaving aside the tawdry details of Auckland mayor Len Brown’s extramarital affair, the oddest feature is the timing of the revelations... More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Ministers: Joint Statement On Southern Ocean Marine Protected Areas

Australia, the European Union, France, New Zealand and the United States jointly call for the establishment this year of marine protected areas (MPAs) in the Southern Ocean, in the Ross Sea Region and in East Antarctica. More>>

ALSO:

TICS: Telco Interception Bill Debated

This Government says the bill seeks to repeal and replace the Telecommunications (Interception Capability) Act 2004 in order to ensure that interception obligations applying to the telecommunications industry are clear, do not impose unnecessary compliance costs, and are sufficiently flexible...More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:


 
 
Politics
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news