Auckland major events funding applications now open
24 October 2017
Auckland major events funding applications
• Applications for major events sponsorship from Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development (ATEED) are now open.
• ATEED sponsors major events, on behalf of Auckland Council, to realise economic and social benefits for Auckland.
• The region’s investment in major events is guided by Auckland’s Major Events Strategy, which was named the world’s Best Events Strategy at the 2016 SportBusiness Ultimate Sports City Awards.
• Applications are open to domestic and international events operators whose events can deliver new money for Auckland and help make it a desirable place to live, work, study and visit.
The annual application round for Auckland major events sponsorship opens today.
Funding is allocated by Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development (ATEED), on behalf of Auckland Council. ATEED invests in major events to realise economic and social benefits for Auckland.
ATEED is calling for applications from New Zealand and international event operators for major multi-year and one-off events happening from 1 July 2018 onwards.
ATEED General Manager Destination Steve Armitage says Auckland has gained international recognition as a world-class host city with an award-winning Major Events Strategy.
“Auckland is having a bumper year for major events this year, with World Masters Games 2017, the DHL New Zealand Lions Series and inaugural MCKAYSON New Zealand Women’s Open already held here this year, and the Rugby League World Cup 2017, Women’s Hockey World League Final and Auckland’s first editions of EQUITANA and NZ Flower & Garden Show still to come.
“These are in addition to perennial Auckland favourites including the Auckland Lantern Festival, Pasifika, the ASB Auckland Marathon and ASB Classic, the New Zealand International Film and Comedy Festivals, creating a diverse and exciting events calendar for Auckland.”
Since Auckland’s Major Events Strategy was approved by Auckland Council in 2011, ATEED-sponsored major events have contributed $247 million to the regional economy and 1,548,000 visitor nights (from 2011/12 FY – 2015/16 FY).
The application period is open until Monday, 18 December. Potential applicants can attend Auckland-based workshops on the Major Events Strategy and the application process on Monday, 6 and Wednesday, 8 November.
The sponsorship round gives priority to events that align with Auckland’s Major Events Strategy. All events are assessed for their ability to generate GDP for Auckland (new money that would not otherwise be spent in the region), increase domestic and international visitors nights, build awareness of Auckland internationally, and make Auckland an interesting and exciting place to live.
Outcomes of the
2018/19 sponsorship application process will be announced
from late March 2018.
NOTES TO EDITOR
• Application information, including assessment critieria, application forms and Auckland’s Major Events Strategy, are available at https://www.aucklandnz.com/about-ateed/about-us/what-we-do/major-events/funding
• All successful ATEED sponsorship funding for major events is subject to performance-based contracts.
• Key dates
o 24 October – 18 December 2017 – applications open
o 6 and 8 November 2017 - Auckland-based information session on the application process
o December 2017 – March 2018 – evaluation of sponsorship applications
o From late March 2018 – sponsorship decisions announced (other than for those requiring additional assessment)