Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Jail sentence imposed after father and son ‘invent’ job

Media release

20 January 2012

Jail sentence imposed after father and son ‘invent’ job to defraud ACC

Jonathan Lloyd Kenneth Adolph, aged 36 of Hamilton, was sentenced today to two and a half years’ imprisonment in the Hamilton District Court, after he made up details of a non-existent job to fraudulently claim ACC weekly compensation.

His father, Lloyd Kenneth Adolph, who also lied to ACC to support his son’s fictitious story, was sentenced to 150 hours’ community work.

Both had pleaded not guilty to the charges laid against them, but were found guilty following a seven-day trial by jury at the Hamilton District Court last November.

Jonathan was convicted of 24 charges of dishonestly using a document and one charge of obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception. Lloyd Adolph, aged 69, was convicted of one charge of obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception.

In addition to the jail sentence, Jonathan was ordered by Judge Tompkins at today’s sentencing to pay reparation of $113,520.27, this being the full amount of weekly compensation fraudulently obtained.

Jonathan’s offending began after he suffered an injury during an altercation with a real estate agent on 17 November 2006 He told ACC he’d been working immediately prior to the injury as an operations manager at the Alcamo Hotel (Hamilton) of which his father was a director.

Jonathan provided ACC with fabricated documents to support his false claims about his employment history, and ACC began paying him weekly compensation on 11 December 2006.

In March 2008, ACC received information alleging that Jonathan had not been working during the period he claimed he was. When Jonathan became aware of ACC investigations into this allegation, he changed his story about the work role he’d supposedly been performing, and provided ACC with further fabricated documents to support his new story.

Jonathan’s father Lloyd was interviewed as part of ACC’s investigation, and corroborated his son’s false story. Lloyd also signed some of the false documents Jonathan provided to ACC.

ACC continued to investigate Jonathan’s circumstances, and established that both scenarios presented regarding his employment history were fabricated.

Weekly compensation payments to Jonathan were therefore suspended on 9 June 2009, and the charges which led to today’s sentencing were subsequently laid.

ACC’s General Manager of Claims Management, Denise Cosgrove, welcomed today’s sentencing, saying this was a case of very deliberate and sophisticated fraud against ACC.

“ACC collects levies to help people with genuine injury-related needs, so the offending of Jonathan and Lloyd Adolph amounts to theft from honest, hard-working New Zealanders.”

“ACC has a dedicated Investigations Unit, which is committed to bringing to justice anyone who acts fraudulently against ACC,” says Ms Cosgrove.

“Today’s sentencing shows that no matter what lengths some dishonest individuals may go to in order to defraud ACC, there’s a good chance they’ll be found out. They'll also receive a penalty that reflects the repugnance which most New Zealanders feel about this type of offending.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Scoop Covid-19 Coverage: Auckland To Remain At Level 3 Restrictions, Rest Of NZ At 2 For 12 More Days


Auckland will remain at level three restrictions and the rest of the country at level two for 12 more days Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced.
She said this would be reviewed on August 21, but there was no indication yet anywhere was required to go to level four restrictions.
Ardern said a good start had been made in stamping out the infections associated with the Auckland family cluster and it appeared it had been picked up early. There was still no certainty about where the virus had come from, but it appeared to be new to New Zealand and not a sign the virus was dormant.... More>>

 

Government: Plan To Tackle Problem Plastics

Following the success of the phase out of single-use plastic shopping bags, the Government now has plans to phase out more single-use and problem plastics to reduce waste and protect the environment announced Associate Minister for the Environment ... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The New Lockdowns, Leadership And Lebanon

As Melbourne has shown, the webs of urban life overlap so extensively that community transmission can be very hard to trace, let alone control. Each of the family members in the South Auckland family at the centre of the current outbreak will have had ... More>>


ALSO:

National: Emma Mellow As Auckland Central Candidate

Tonight the National Party has selected Emma Mellow to stand in the Auckland Central electorate for the 2020 General Election. Emma Mellow replaces retiring MP Nikki Kaye who first won the seat from Labour in 2008. Emma leads a team of communications ... More>>

ALSO:

Travel: Update On New Zealand And The Cook Islands Bubble

The Prime Minister of New Zealand Jacinda Ardern and the Prime Minister of the Cook Islands Henry Puna have welcomed the completion of phase one in the establishment of a travel bubble between New Zealand and the Cook Island. More>>

Election 2020: Labour Launch

E ngā mana e ngā reo Ngāti whātua ngā mana whenua o Tāmaki Makaurau, e tika te kōrero Ehara taku toa he toa (taki tahi) he toa (taki tini) No rēira tātou e huihui mai nei, ka ‘Hoake tonu tātou’ Thank you for that welcome. And thank ... More>>

Gordon Campbell: On Political Twins, And On Labour Extending Its Wage Subsidy Scheme

A quick quiz for the weekend. Which political party currently represented in Parliament issued a press release yesterday that contained these stirring passages: “[We have] long supported a free trade and free movement area between Canada, Australia, New ... More>>

ALSO:

Democracy 2.0: NextElection Partners With Scoop For Exciting Democracy Tech

Joint Press Release: NextElection, Scoop.co.nz, ScoopCitizen NextElection , a technology platform empowering democracy and Government accountability, and Scoop Independent News have partnered to strengthen citizen participation in the 2020 New Zealand General ... More>>

ALSO:


Covid-19: Poll On Management Approval

New Zealanders’ overall trust in the Ministry of Health and Government to manage the COVID-19 pandemic is at 82%, down from 91% during April. Overall distrust that the Ministry and Government will manage it in ways which best protect themselves More>>

Election 2020: National Releases 2020 Party List

National’s 2020 Party List is a strong mix of experience coming up through our Caucus, and new and exciting talent joining our team from communities across New Zealand, Party President Peter Goodfellow says. “The National Party is incredibly ... More>>

Horizon Research Limited: How Judith Collins Stopped The Bleeding

Horizon Research includes questions on voting from time to time in its surveys – for both forthcoming referenda and general elections. More>>

Your Vote 2020: Bringing Election Coverage To Viewers Across TVNZ Channels And Platforms

As New Zealand gets ready to head to the ballot box this September, 1 NEWS is bringing voters comprehensive coverage and analysis of this year’s General Election. TVNZ’s coverage will draw on the depth of experience held across the 1 NEWS team, says Graeme ... More>>

Economy: 30% Believe Households Worse Off, 298,000 Expect To Lose Jobs

64% of New Zealanders feel the economic position of their households is the same or better than a year ago – and 30% think it is worse or much worse, while 298,000 think they will lose their jobs in the next 12 months. Households’ perceptions ... More>>

State Services Commission: Findings Of Investigation Into COVID-19 Active Cases Privacy Breach

Deputy State Services Commissioner Helene Quilter has today announced the findings of an investigation into a breach of privacy regarding sensitive personal information. The investigation looked into who or what caused the disclosure of the information, ... More>>

International Security: New Zealand Suspends Extradition Treaty With Hong Kong

The New Zealand Government has suspended its extradition treaty with Hong Kong and made a number of other changes in light of China’s decision to pass a national security law for Hong Kong, Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Peters says. More>>

ALSO:


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 


 

InfoPages News Channels