Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Tunnel + flyover is a silly option for the Basin Reserve

20 September 2012

Tunnel + flyover is a silly option for the Basin Reserve

With the digging for the Memorial Park Tunnel due to commence, following the imminent enacting of the National War Memorial Park (Pukeahu) Empowering Bill, it is time to relook at NZTA's proposal for the Basin Reserve. The Architectural Centre believes that these two projects (Memorial Park and the Basin Roading Project) cannot be seen in isolation from each other.

"Now the government has committed to a tunnel, a flyover at the Basin is nonsensical" Architectural Centre President Christine McCarthy said. "The whole project needs to be relooked at in order to take this significant change into account. NZTA appears to be carrying on as if there is no tunnel. These projects can not be developed in isolation if the best long term solution for the city is to be built."

The Architectural Centre, authors of Option X, endorse the government's decision to fund a tunnel under Memorial Park. With the construction of the tunnel much of the Option X scheme will be built. Option X was proposed in order to provide an appropriate commemorative landscape for the National War Memorial, and to provide major new green connections, which will have the ability to transform the city. The tunnel is also exactly what is needed to separate north/south and east/west traffic at the Basin - but only if it is extended through to the junction of Buckle and Sussex Streets, in accordance with Option X.

"Designed properly the tunnel will make a significant and positive contribution to the landscape and traffic planning of the city. Crudely sticking isolated projects together is a sad mistake which will damage this part of town for decades." McCarthy continued.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Covid-19, 17/9: 1,007 Overall Cases, 4,500,000+ Vaccine Doses Administered


11 new cases of Covid-19 have been identified in Auckland today. 535 so far have recovered from their cases in Auckland alongside 15 of 17 in Wellington... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On the moral and scientific case against Covid booster shots


A year ago, a Covid vaccine was still on humanity’s wish list. Now, we’re basing our economic planning - and the safety of opening our borders – on the ability of the new Covid vaccines to reduce infection, hospitalisation and death. Given this reliance and in the face of an evolving virus, there is a lot of anxiety about how well the vaccines protect us, and for how long. Will we need booster shots, and how soon..? More>>



 
 


Trans-Tasman: Quarantine-free travel with Australia to remain suspended for a further 8 weeks
The suspension of quarantine-free travel (QFT) with Australia has been extended, given the current Delta outbreaks, COVID-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins said today. “When QFT was established with Australia, both our countries had very few recent cases of COVID-19 community transmission... More>>


Auckland: School holidays remain unchanged

School holidays in Auckland will continue to be held at the same time as the rest of the country, starting from Saturday, 2 October, Education Minister Chris Hipkins said today. “I’ve carefully considered advice on the implications of shifting the dates and concluded that on balance, maintaining the status quo is the best course of action... More>>

ALSO:



Government: Timeline confirmed for Emissions Reductions Plan

Cabinet has agreed to begin consulting on the Emissions Reduction Plan in early October and require that the final plan be released by the end of May next year in line with the 2022 Budget, the Minister of Climate Change, James Shaw confirmed today... More>>

ALSO:


Power: Bill Changes Bring Fairness To Charges

A key recommendation of an independent panel to make electricity charges fairer across all households will be put in place, the Energy and Resources Minister Megan Woods has announced... More>>



Government: Parks expiry of licenses, WoFs and regos
As a result of the Delta outbreak, driver licences, Warrants of Fitness (WoFs), Certificates of Fitness (CoFs), vehicle licences (‘regos’) and licence endorsements that expired on or after 21 July 2021 will be valid until 30 November 2021, Transport Minister Michael Wood has announced today... More>>



Child Poverty Action Group: Highest jump in weekly benefit numbers since first lockdown

The current lockdown has triggered the largest weekly increase in benefit recipient numbers since the first lockdown last year, and Child Poverty Action Group is concerned the Government isn't doing enough to assist affected families... More>>


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels