High profile New Zealanders join “Change the Flag” campaign
High profile New Zealanders join “Change the NZ Flag” campaign
All Blacks’ great Dan Carter is just one of
a number of high profile New Zealanders to have joined a
campaign to support changing the New Zealand flag.
The 112-Test veteran appears in a short video along with other sports, business, cultural and civic leaders. Other kiwis stepping up to vote for change include Silver Fern Maria Tutaia, New Zealander of the year finalist Rob Fenwick, Mayor Celia Wade-Brown, former Mayor Sir Bob Parker, business leader Rob Fyfe and playwright Roger Hall to name just a few.
These leaders come from a wide variety of backgrounds and political persuasions, and more leaders are expected to join the campaign. The video also features members of the public advocating for change.
New Zealand is the only country in the world to vote on its flag and the campaign encourages kiwis to take the once in a lifetime chance to change it.
Campaign Chairman Lewis Holden says he was struck by the passion of the high profile New Zealanders who have joined the campaign.
“Though the polls show we’re the underdogs, we’ve got a great team that’s prepared to advocate for change and explain why having a new flag makes sense economically, culturally and internationally.”
Mr Holden says a recent poll of 1000 people by Curia Research showed support for the new flag was growing, while support for the old flag had dropped to just 56% from a high of 69% last September.
“The trend suggests it could be much closer than people think and we believe that momentum is swinging towards change. I think New Zealand is ready for a new flag after 114 years of the old one.”
Mr Holden said the video would be highly visible on social media, with more than half a million views expected over the coming weeks.
“I think people will engage with this campaign and would like to hear the arguments for change from some of our most successful New Zealanders.
“This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to vote for change and get a flag that represents New Zealand and New Zealanders in the 21st Century.”
To view the Change the NZ Flag video, click here: http://bit.ly/fernflag
Vote for change ambassadors
• Rt Hon Jim Bolger, Former Prime Minister
• Naomi Ballantyne, Business Leader
• Dan Carter, Former All Black
• Rob Fenwick, Environmental Businessman
• Ian Fraser, Broadcaster
• Rob Fyfe, Business Leader
• Roger Hall, Playwright
• Toko Kapea, Lawyer and Company Director
• Nick Leggett, Mayor of Porirua City
• Gary McCormick, Media Commentator
• Dame Rosanne Meo, Business Leader
• Sir Bob Parker, Former Mayor of Christchurch • Kerry Prendergast, Chair of Tourism New Zealand and Former Mayor of Wellington
• Bill Ralston, Media Consultant
• Rt Hon Jenny Shipley, Former Prime Minister
• Anna Stanley, Former Silver Fern
• Sarah Tetro, Businesswoman
• Va'aiga Tuigamala MNZM, Former All Black and Samoan International Rugby Player
• Maria Tutaia, Silver Fern Netballer
• Celia Wade-Brown, Mayor of Wellington
• Hon Fran Wilde, New Zealander