Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Fulton Hogan slows Australian growth as FY profit drops 89%

Fulton Hogan slows Australian growth goals as annual earnings plunge 89 percent

By Paul McBeth

Nov. 26 (BusinessDesk) - Fulton Hogan, the privately-held construction company, has slowed its growth aspirations across the Tasman after problems with a joint venture in New South Wales eroded earnings, leading to an 89 percent drop in annual profit.

Net profit sank to just $7.9 million in the 12 months ended June 30, from $73.9 million a year earlier, which departing chairman Ed Johnson described as a "disappointing and totally unacceptable group performance" in the company's annual review, mailed to shareholders. Revenue grew 12 percent to $2.73 billion, in line with budget.

"Absolutely we've had a tough year, but we are very confident between the board and myself we have the business back on track, back to a stable position, and our performance in the first quarter would underpin that," managing director Nick Miller told BusinessDesk. "We've had a very strong performance out of the business across the first quarter."

The Christchurch-based company's earnings plunged after it took a $27.4 million charge on associate companies and jointly controlled entities, including its Pacific Highway joint venture in NSW, which has been beset with wet weather. Fulton Hogan has taken a $55.6 million provision for future losses in its current liabilities on its joint venture.

The construction firm delayed its annual meeting until mid-December as it negotiated the details of the problematic Australian project, having already revoked a planned share buyback in October. Fulton Hogan expanded its footprint across the Tasman last year, buying out its partner in Victoria-based Pioneer Road Services.

Including a revaluation of land, and losses on cash flow hedge reserves and foreign exchange, Fulton Hogan posted a loss of $7.1 million, compared to a comprehensive profit of $99.7 million in 2011.

Miller said the company is slowing its growth aspirations in Australia after building its presence across all states and territories in the world's 12th biggest economy, which was "critical to our strategy." The company rejigged its Australian operations to attract more specialists in its two work streams - industries and construction.

"Part of it has been around reducing overhead structure, but also focusing on what's important. We're confident we now have that under control and the business is running well," he said.

The board declared a final dividend of 5 cents per share, taking the annual payout to 11.5 cents, down from 20 cents paid in 2011.

Fulton Hogan delayed the next two buyback instalments for Shell New Zealand to let it consider a potential acquisition of some resource-based assets in New Zealand.

Miller said the company is focusing on strengthening its balance sheet, through increasing its retained earnings and selling some non-core assets such as forestry and land. Those funds will be put towards repaying debt, he said.

Fulton Hogan had current liabilities of $532.3 million as at June 30 and non-current liabilities of $772.9 million.

Miller was upbeat about the coming year, with a forward-order book of $3.7 billion, saying "the underlying business is still very solid and is well-positioned for the future."

Fulton Hogan will continue to pursue a 'zero harm' health and safety policy after four workers died in the financial year in four separate incidents, and has introduced a number of new initiatives to improve the culture and behaviour around safety, Miller said.

"That rocked us to the core - Fulton Hogan has always had health and safety as a number one priority," he said.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Sky City : Auckland Convention Centre Cost Jumps By A Fifth

SkyCity Entertainment Group, the casino and hotel operator, is in talks with the government on how to fund the increased cost of as much as $130 million to build an international convention centre in downtown Auckland, with further gambling concessions ruled out. The Auckland-based company has increased its estimate to build the centre to between $470 million and $530 million as the construction boom across the country drives up building costs and design changes add to the bill.
More>>

ALSO:

RMTU: Mediation Between Lyttelton Port And Union Fails

The Rail and Maritime Union (RMTU) has opted to continue its overtime ban indefinitely after mediation with the Lyttelton Port of Christchurch (LPC) failed to progress collective bargaining. More>>

Earlier:

Science Policy: Callaghan, NSC Funding Knocked In Submissions

Callaghan Innovation, which was last year allocated a budget of $566 million over four years to dish out research and development grants, and the National Science Challenges attracted criticism in submissions on the government’s draft national statement of science investment, with science funding largely seen as too fragmented. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Spark, Voda And Telstra To Lay New Trans-Tasman Cable

Spark New Zealand and Vodafone, New Zealand’s two dominant telecommunications providers, in partnership with Australian provider Telstra, will spend US$70 million building a trans-Tasman submarine cable to bolster broadband traffic between the neighbouring countries and the rest of the world. More>>

ALSO:

More:

Statistics: Current Account Deficit Widens

New Zealand's annual current account deficit was $6.1 billion (2.6 percent of GDP) for the year ended September 2014. This compares with a deficit of $5.8 billion (2.5 percent of GDP) for the year ended June 2014. More>>

ALSO:

Still In The Red: NZ Govt Shunts Out Surplus To 2016

The New Zealand government has pushed out its targeted return to surplus for a year as falling dairy prices and a low inflation environment has kept a lid on its rising tax take, but is still dangling a possible tax cut in 2017, the next election year and promising to try and achieve the surplus pledge on which it campaigned for election in September. More>>

ALSO:

Job Insecurity: Time For Jobs That Count In The Meat Industry

“Meat Workers face it all”, says Graham Cooke, Meat Workers Union National Secretary. “Seasonal work, dangerous jobs, casual and zero hours contracts, and increasing pressure on workers to join non-union individual agreements. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
Standards New Zealand

Standards New Zealand
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news