Morningstar Releases KiwiSaver Performance Survey
Morningstar today released its KiwiSaver Performance Survey to 31 December 2012, designed to help New Zealand investors assess the performance of KiwiSaver superannuation options.
"2012 was a banner year for growth assets, and KiwiSaver schemes with strong tilts to shares and listed property did particularly well. While no-one can predict what will happen in 2013, it would be a brave person to assume these double-digit returns will be repeated," said Morningstar Australasia Co-Head of Fund Research Chris Douglas.
"Investors have learnt a lot over the last five
years, so it's important to keep in mind what we do know.
Volatility in returns looks here to stay, and there continue
to be meaningful uncertainties globally. We believe that
it's the tried and tested teams and processes which should
really excel in this environment."
Morningstar's KiwiSaver database is free for all fund managers to join, and this survey is made freely available to investors and financial services professionals alike.
Other Key Findings
• Growth assets enjoyed a healthy Christmas rally and closed 2012 on a resoundingly strong note. Three of the four quarters of 2012 registered positive returns, only the second quarter a disappointment.
• Shares and listed property all recorded very healthy returns for 2012, mostly in double-digits. New Zealand shares as measured by the NZX50 Index was up 6.06 percent over the three months to 31 December 2012 and posted a very impressive 24.18 percent for the calendar year.
• Aon KiwiSaver Russell was the standout performer across the multi-sector categories over the December quarter. Fisher Funds KiwiSaver also deserves mention for strong showings from the firm's Conservative and Growth options.
• The best-performing KiwiSaver options over the past five years continue to be SIL KiwiSaver (as well as National Bank and ANZ KiwiSaver) in the Conservative, Balanced, and Growth Multi-Sector categories. Fidelity KiwiSaver has also performed strongly in the Balanced and Aggressive Multi-Sector categories. Others worthy of mention include Aon KiwiSaver Russell in the Conservative and Moderate categories, Brook KiwiSaver across Balanced and Growth, and Fisher Funds KiwiSaver Growth.
• Milford KiwiSaver continues to do exceptionally well, and deserves recognition for its performance as the top-performing KiwiSaver options in 2012 across both multi-sector and single sector.