Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Rakon to shut UK plant, flags wider full-year loss

Rakon to shut UK plant in cost cutting drive, flags wider full-year loss

By Suze Metherell

Jan. 16 (BusinessDesk) – Rakon, whose shares have halved in the past year, plans to close its UK factory as soon as this year, taking a provision that would widen its full-year loss.

The maker of quartz crystals used in navigation systems and smart phones has advised workers at its Lincoln plant that it intends to close the facility, leaving only a research and development centre in the UK.

A board review showed “duplicate overhead structures and manufacturing capability exists between the Lincoln and New Zealand operations,” the Auckland-based company said in a statement. “The proposal is for a full closure of the plant with the manufacturing of products to be shifted to Rakon’s New Zealand plant.”

Should the closure be completed in the year ending March 31, Rakon expects to report a full-year loss of between $55 million to $59 million, compared with an earlier forecast of a loss of $54 million.

Rakon’s shares fell 2.6 percent to 18.5 cents, having traded as high as 38 cents a year ago and down from as high as $5.35 in November 2007.

Last year the company quit its Chinese operations to reduce debt. The company said today that its announcement on the UK factory won’t delay its target of reducing bank debt below $12 million by March 31.

Rakon also reiterated its target of a return to positive earnings in 2015, with earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation of between $10 and $15 million. On an EBITDA basis the company is forecasting a loss of between $5 to $8 million in the current year, a deterioration from its previous guidance of between a loss of $3 million and break even.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

OceanaGold: Man Killed In Waihi Mine Accident

A 29-year-old man had died following a work place accident at OceanaGold mine, Waihi last night. The man was killed after the front end loader he was in rolled down a slope. The accident happened at approximately 6.30pm on Thursday night. More>>

ALSO:

Constructing Consent: Annual Housing Consents Highest In Over A Decade

More than 29,000 new homes gained building consent in the year to June 2016, up 16 percent from the previous June year, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

War Against Weevil For Future Peas: “No Peas, No Weevil” Ban Now In Place In Wairarapa

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has today placed a ban on growing peas within a specified area and placed controls on moving pea material (seed and untreated pea straw) within, in and out of this area for the next 2 years. More>>

ALSO:

Wood Producers: Crisis In New Zealand Log Supply

New Zealand wood processing leaders held a hui with senior government officials and political leaders in Whangarei yesterday to assess the acute log supply shortage to local mills in Northland. More>>

Consents And Taxes: Trustpower 'Very Disappointed' With Judgement

Trustpower is "very disappointed" with a Supreme Court ruling dismissing its bid to claim tax deductions on $17.7 million of project costs in a case closely watched by large-scale infrastructure developers. More>>

ALSO:

Fruitful Endeavours: Kiwifruit Exports Reach Record Levels

In June 2016, kiwifruit exports rose $105 million (47 percent) from June 2015 to reach $331 million, Statistics New Zealand said today. Overall, goods exports rose $109 million (2.6 percent) in June 2016 (to $4.3 billion). More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news