Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Earthworks winners highlight improvements

MEDIA RELEASE

Earthworks winners highlight improvements

13 August 2014

Three new awards for environmentally sensitive earthworks projects in Waikato reflect a need to recognise the improved effort the industry has put into protecting water quality from the effects of sediment.

The awards were presented at a ceremony at Waikato Regional Council’s Hamilton offices today.

The winners are:

Small site - Downey Designer Homes Limited for its huge improvements in relation to sediment control on house building sites within the Hamilton City area.
Medium site - Holden Earthmoving Limited for consistently showing a high standard of workmanship in the construction of erosion and sediment controls, particularly the works undertaken on the Otorohanga stopbanks upgrade.
Large site - Base Civil Limited for outstanding work controls on earthworks undertaken to establish a campground at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints site at Tuhikaramea Road.
Forestry - The forestry sector award went to Wood Marketing Services Limited for rehabilitation of roading earthworks at the Vela Forest site near Te Uku.

Council chairperson Paula Southgate, who presented the awards, said: “While Waikato Regional Council makes the rules, we can’t achieve anything without the industry behind us. As an industry, you’re helping us protect our water quality and the productivity of our soils.”

The council had previously introduced a Site of the Year award to highlight and promote environmental best practice and innovation on earthworks projects.

The council’s rules are designed to prevent sediment from such projects from running off into waterways as it can seriously affect aquatic life and water clarity.

This year the awards were expanded to four categories covering small, medium and large sites, as well as forestry-related developments.

“There’s been a greater effort recently across the board by the earthworks industry to carry out projects in an environmentally sensitive way,” said land and soil programme manager Grant Blackie.

“In the last financial year we issued earthworks operators with about half the number of fines and abatement notices that we did the previous year, even though overall consented earthworks activity increased.

“We believe there’s a range of reasons for this better performance including our education programmes and work with the industry.

“For example, over the past decade we’ve had hundreds of people through our earthworks workshops. And over the past 12 months there has been a focused programme within the earthworks and building industries to ensure that adequate erosion and sediment controls are installed and maintained throughout the duration of works on any development site.

“So, by expanding our awards to cover four categories, we’re able to publicly recognise more of our high performers in the region and the better effort going in generally.”

Mr Blackie said that all nominated sites were ones which consistently strived to achieve outstanding levels of compliance for earthworks.

“All award winners and nominees have made a fantastic effort to exceed compliance expectations in implementing best practice erosion and sediment controls for earthworks.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

OceanaGold: Man Killed In Waihi Mine Accident

A 29-year-old man had died following a work place accident at OceanaGold mine, Waihi last night. The man was killed after the front end loader he was in rolled down a slope. The accident happened at approximately 6.30pm on Thursday night. More>>

ALSO:

Constructing Consent: Annual Housing Consents Highest In Over A Decade

More than 29,000 new homes gained building consent in the year to June 2016, up 16 percent from the previous June year, Statistics New Zealand said today. More>>

ALSO:

War Against Weevil For Future Peas: “No Peas, No Weevil” Ban Now In Place In Wairarapa

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has today placed a ban on growing peas within a specified area and placed controls on moving pea material (seed and untreated pea straw) within, in and out of this area for the next 2 years. More>>

ALSO:

Wood Producers: Crisis In New Zealand Log Supply

New Zealand wood processing leaders held a hui with senior government officials and political leaders in Whangarei yesterday to assess the acute log supply shortage to local mills in Northland. More>>

Consents And Taxes: Trustpower 'Very Disappointed' With Judgement

Trustpower is "very disappointed" with a Supreme Court ruling dismissing its bid to claim tax deductions on $17.7 million of project costs in a case closely watched by large-scale infrastructure developers. More>>

ALSO:

Fruitful Endeavours: Kiwifruit Exports Reach Record Levels

In June 2016, kiwifruit exports rose $105 million (47 percent) from June 2015 to reach $331 million, Statistics New Zealand said today. Overall, goods exports rose $109 million (2.6 percent) in June 2016 (to $4.3 billion). More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news