NZ Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern Pre-budget Speech
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern given a pre-budget. Her key points are:
- Country about to enter a very tough winter
- Budget 2020 will look to accelerate employment, empower businesses, and stimulate economy
- Projections suggest economic shock could be sharp, but hopefully short
- Government's ability to borrow at very low interest rates places it in a strong position
- “When times are hard you don’t cut, you invest”
- Government plans to invest to create jobs and get economy moving
- Number one priority is jobs – this means the budget will be a jobs budget.
NZD is little changed in immediate response
The RBNZ OCR decision and Monetary Policy Statement will be released at 2pm, followed by a press conference at 3pm.
NZ budget will be announced 2pm Thursday.
Current indicative levels are: