Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Last call for submissions on Auckland solid waste bylaw

23 August 2012

Last call for submissions on Auckland solid waste bylaw

Auckland residents have until Monday, 3 September 2012, to submit their views on the proposed solid waste bylaw for the region.

The management of solid waste in Auckland is currently governed by seven different bylaws of the former councils, which all expire on 31 October 2012.

Auckland Council proposes to replace these with a single bylaw to ensure one set of standards for the region.

Many of the new proposals are already included in existing bylaws but will be extended to cover all of Auckland.

“The aim of unifying the solid waste bylaw is to minimise confusion across the region by providing a single, clear set of rules for the handling and management of Auckland’s solid waste,” says Regulatory and Bylaws Committee chair Councillor Des Morrison.

“The immediate change felt by Aucklanders will be minimal. However, some proposed changes of public interest are the management of unaddressed mail, abandoned shopping trolleys and disposal of waste in other people’s bins.”
The council is keen to hear from all residents, as well as the waste industry and business operators.

The proposed changes aim to reduce any nuisance and potential health and safety issues posed by discarded waste to both the public and the environment.

The proposed bylaw will also help council achieve the outcomes of its Waste Management and Minimisation Plan, which was adopted earlier this year.

People can have their say on the proposed bylaw by making a submission online at www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/bylaws where they can also view the draft bylaw. Documents are also available from all council libraries, service centres and local board offices.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Supermarket Scam, And On Tunisia’s Scrapping Of Democracy

Are we paying too much for our groceries? Hmm. Is the Pope a Catholic? Given that the two Australian supermarket chains that dominate our grocery industry routinely rack up profits in the order of $22 billion annually, that’s a no-brainer. Yet as with New Zealand’s other socio-economic problems created by our 1980s reforms, the practical solutions seem pretty thin on the ground... More>>

 



Government: Bill Introduced To Protect Against Conversion Practices

Legislation has been introduced to Parliament to protect against practices intended to change or suppress someone’s sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression... More>>

ALSO:

Government: Welcomes Draft Report On The Retail Grocery Sector

The Commerce Commission’s draft report into the retail grocery sector is being welcomed by Government as a major milestone. “I asked the Commerce Commission to look at whether this sector is as competitive as it could be and today it has released its draft report for consultation,” Commerce and Consumer Affairs Minister, David Clark said... More>>

ALSO:

Child Poverty Action Group: Poverty Burden For Children Increased Due To Government Neglect - New Report

Poverty, inequity, homelessness and food insecurity are among the burdens which increased for tamariki Māori and other children in the first year of Covid-19 - partially due to Government neglect... More>>



NZUS Council: Welcomes Nomination Of Senator Tom Udall As US Ambassador To NZ

The NZUS Council welcomes the nomination of Senator Tom Udall to the role of US Ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa, NZUS Council executive director Jordan Small said... More>>

BusinessNZ: Visa Extensions Welcomed
BusinessNZ has welcomed the extension of some critical skill visa durations and changes to immigration systems to speed processing. Chief Executive Kirk Hope says move acknowledges advocacy by the hospitality sector, the BusinessNZ Network and others, and comes not a moment too soon.... More>>



Social Development: Government Initiatives Contribute To Fall In Benefit Numbers

Minister for Social Development Carmel Sepuloni has welcomed the release of the June quarter Benefit Statistics which show a continuing fall in the number of people receiving a Main Benefit... More>>


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels