Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Achieving Faster Growth For New Zealand

Achieving Faster Growth For New Zealand – What To Do With Public Spending


“This whole work programme is about how to make New Zealanders considerably better off through economic growth” said Wellington Regional Chamber of Commerce CEO Philip Lewin today.

Mr Lewin was commenting on the launch of the New Zealand Chambers’ fifth and final policy document for 2003, “Constraining – but not slashing – growth in public spending to 1% per year”.

In New Zealand central and local governments are responsible for around 40% of the economy and directly influence the remaining 60%.

“As the economy grows, so the relative proportion of spending devoted to governments can reduce” said Mr Lewin. “The policy document we’re launching today details the areas where such expenditure constraints can be applied”

“A 1% bigger government sector next to 4% annual real growth across the whole economy would see the ratio of public expenditure to private reduce markedly over the next decade, to no more than 30% of GDP – without harming vulnerable New Zealanders”.

“We’d be keeping increases in real per capita government spending to below the rate of economic growth, and simultaneously lifting New Zealand’s productivity, as we stressed in our first policy release back in April”.

“At the same time, our country should be hitting the three other big growth policy targets the Chambers have identified – boosting our exports by 70%, making sure Auckland’s economy is fit to grow 80% (without short-changing the rest of us), and increasing basic skills to get more people in employment.”

“As Chambers of Commerce, we need to ensure that the importance of economic growth to social wellbeing is never lost sight of” Mr Lewin concluded.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Government: Delivering Lower Card Fees To Business

Commerce and Consumer Affairs Minister David Clark has today announced the Government’s next steps to reduce merchant service fees, that banks charge businesses when customers use a credit or debit card to pay, which is estimated to save New Zealand businesses ... More>>

SEEK NZ Employment Report: April 2021

OVERVIEW OF APRIL 2021: STATE OF THE NATION: April, for the second consecutive month, saw the highest number of jobs ever advertised on seek.co.nz. Applications per job ad fell 9% month-on-month (m/m). SEEK job ads were up by 12% m/m. SEEK job ads were ... More>>

Commerce Commission: Warns Genesis Over Business Billing Errors

The Commerce Commission has issued a warning to Genesis Energy Limited about billing errors concerning electricity line charges to business customers. Genesis reported the errors to the Commission. The Commission considers that Genesis is likely to ... More>>

Stats: Lower Job Security Linked To Lower Life Satisfaction

People who feel their employment is insecure are more likely than other employed people to rate their overall life satisfaction poorly, Stats NZ said today. New survey data from the March 2021 quarter shows that 26 percent of employed people who thought ... More>>

The Conversation: The Outlook For Coral Reefs Remains Grim Unless We Cut Emissions Fast — New Research

A study of 183 coral reefs worldwide quantified the impacts of ocean warming and acidification on reef growth rates. Even under the lowest emissions scenarios, the future of reefs is not bright. More>>

The Conversation: Why Now Would Be A Good Time For The Reserve Bank Of New Zealand To Publish Stress Test Results For Individual Banks

Set against the backdrop of an economy healing from 2020’s annus horribilis , this week’s Financial Stability Report (FSR) from the Reserve Bank (RBNZ) was cautiously reassuring: the country’s financial system is sound, though vulnerabilities remain. More>>