SAY NO to increasing age of youth justice - Petition
SAY NO – to increasing age of youth justice
1st November 2016
SIGN THE PETITION
The Government is contemplating increasing the age of Youth Justice, which at present is 16, with a wide variation of ages being debated ranging from increasing the age to18 or 21 with some even suggesting it should be increased to 25!
At present a 16 year old can legally have sex, give birth, get married, drive a car and own a firearm, yet there is an ideological belief within Government and other agencies that a young person can do all the above yet is too young to be treated as an adult in regards to criminal offending.
• If the current youth justice system, including Youth Court, diversion and various alternative actions, are working so well why is the crime rate increasing? Most of today’s criminal have escalated up from the current youth justice system!
• We say any offender over the age of 16 knows right from wrong and should be held fully accountable and responsible for their actions and are totally opposed to this idea.
• Please note: The vast majority of Police and Youth Aid teams are also OPPOSED to increasing the age!
Sensible Sentencing Trust has started a petition to counter the attempt to increase the Youth Justice age and would appreciate your support by:
1) Signing the petition
2) Spreading this email amongst your friends and colleagues
3) Tell your MP, after all they are meant to represent us!
4) Write letters to the Editor
5) Ring Talk Back Radio; Radio Network: 0800 80 10 80 and Radio Live: 0800 844 747