Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Younger Wellingtonians having say on city’s future

16 May 2018


Big turnout of younger Wellingtonians having say on city’s future

Wellington City Council’s focus on digital engagement has paid off, with younger residents making up the biggest cohort of submitters to its 10-Year Plan consultation.

Consultation on the 10-Year Plan started 15 April and closed last night with more than 2000 submissions received so far, up significantly from the 1017 submissions on the previous plan in 2015.

Mayor Justin Lester says it’s heartening to see so many young people having their say on Wellington’s direction.

“Our 10-Year Plan is about our city’s future, so it’s especially valuable to hear from younger Wellingtonians.

“Whilst 19-30 year olds make up 19 percent of Wellington’s population, they accounted for a very healthy 25 percent of submissions on our 10-Year Plan,” he says.

To reach more Wellingtonians, particularly younger residents, the Council created an easy-to-use website, geared up social media promotions including a virtual forum connecting the community and councillors. The Council also ran a creative campaign to project provocative messages onto city buildings to gain attention and promote the hashtag #WgtnPlan as a way to give feedback.

More than 90 percent of submissions on this year’s plan so far were made online compared to 23 percent in 2015, an indication of the digital campaign’s success.

Alongside providing their views on the future of the city, the submitters were asked to rank the Council’s priority areas. Ranked in order, respondents rated resilience and environment as the most important area for the Council to focus on at 24 per cent; transport (22 percent), housing (21 percent), arts and culture (17 percent), and sustainable growth (17 percent).

Three quarters (74 percent) of people who made submissions also said they were in favour of spending more on these five priority areas.

Councillor Diane Calvert, who holds the Council’s Community Engagement portfolio, says the Council wanted to hear feedback from not only more people but a wider range of the public that better represent Wellington’s diversity.

“The positive public feedback is a great result. It shows our plans for Wellington reflect what people are looking for — protecting our future while ensuring our city remains a vibrant cultural capital.

“As a city we have some big challenges: planning for natural disasters, developing infrastructure and housing for population growth, mitigating the effects of climate change and more. Investing in these areas will mean a better future for the city,” she says.

Public submissions on the Council’s draft 10-Year Plan closed on Tuesday 15 May. The Council will hear people speak to their submissions next week. The Council and Councillors will consider all public submissions before making amendments to the draft plan and passing it on 28 June.

The number of submissions mentioned above is expected to increase after all posted hard copy submissions have been received.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Budget 2018: "Better Lives For Children"

Budget 2018 builds a better future for New Zealand children, with major investments in health, education, housing and justice to improve thousands of children’s lives, says Prime Minister and Minister for Child Poverty Reduction Jacinda Ardern. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On Budget 2018

To put it mildly, Budget 2018 has not been an outbreak of wild-eyed, tax and spend liberalism. “Unfortunately not,” says CTU economist Bill Rosenberg agrees laconically. “But what you're seeing and within the constraints [the government] have set themselves, they’ve done quite a good job of beginning to eat away at the deficits that have built up over the years. Not only the social deficits, but also in areas like economic development, the provinces, bio-security and so on.” More>>

Budget 2018 - Scoop Full Coverage

 

Corrections Officers: 600 New Prison Beds Not Enough

Finance Minister Grant Robertson announced 600 new prison beds to be built in modular units by the end of next year, but would not say whether the extension of Waikeria Prison would go ahead. More>>

ALSO:

Peters Returns: Visit Reinforces New Zealand-Japan Relationship

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Winston Peters has departed Tokyo following a productive three-day visit to Japan. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Regressive Taxes

The headlines would have you believe that inflation is safely under control, but a Statistics NZ press release indicates that isn’t the reality being experienced by the poor, given how the steeply rising costs of smoking, petrol, rent etc are falling disproportionately on low to middle income earners. More>>

ALSO:

Overlapping Treaty Claims: ‘You Are Taking Us To War’

Treaty Negotiations Minister Andrew Little was speaking about the treaty process and the importance of communication when he was challenged by a kaumatua from Tauranga Moana. More>>

ALSO:

Workplace Harrassment: Rights Body's Policy Inadequate

"Judge Coral Shaw’s report confirms what our members at the HRC have told us: that the workplace culture at the HRC needs to be addressed," PSA National Secretary Glenn Barclay says. More>>

ALSO:

Charter Schools: Transition Begins

As the next step in the transition of charter schools into the state school system, the formal process to end charter school contracts is starting today, Education Minister Chris Hipkins says. More>>

ALSO:

Labour & Labour: 'Not All Businesses Will Survive' Employment Changes

Q+A Transcript: Workplace Relations Minister Iain Lees-Galloway says New Zealand needs a high-skill, high-wage economy and accepts that some businesses will not survive some of its policy changes. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages