Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Key announces $20M for apprentices, $3k jobless grant

Key announces $20 million more in apprentice subsidy, $3k grant to lure jobless to Canterbury

May 6 (BusinessDesk) – Prime Minister John Key says an extra $20 million will be provided in this year’s budget to expand the government’s apprentice subsidy scheme and $3.5 million for grants to lure unemployed people to jobs in Canterbury.

Key made the announcements in a pre-budget speech in Wellington in which he affirmed the government’s target of returning to surplus in the coming year.

The subsidy for apprenticeships amounts to $1,000 for eligible apprentices or trainees toward the cost of tools or off-job course costs, or $2,000 for those in priority trades. The additional spending will increase the number of places on the government’s Apprenticeship Reboot scheme, announced last year, to 20,000 from 14,000, Key said.

The grants for beneficiaries to take a job in Canterbury will be a lump-sum of $3,000, tax free and not subject to any income and asset test. To be eligible, they must show proof of a confirmed job offer of at least 30 hours a week and for at least 91 days.

The $3.5 million initiative, which would run for 12 months from July 1 would be enough to fund up to 1,000 beneficiaries, Key said.

Canterbury, which has been soaking up workers to help with the rebuild after Christchurch was devastated by earthquakes, has an unemployment rate of 3.4 percent, the lowest in the country, Key said.

The budget is announced on May 15.

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Tax: GST Threshold For Online Purchases Won't Lower Before 2018

The government wants to lower the threshold on online purchases which qualify for GST from mid-2018, but says more work is needed and there will be no change without public consultation. More>>

ALSO:

North Canterbury: Government Extends Drought Classification

The government has extended a drought classification for the eastern South Island until the end of the year, meaning the area will have officially been in drought for almost two years, the longest period for such a category. More>>

ALSO:

Negotiations Fail: Christchurch Convention Centre Build To Proceed Without PCNZ

After protracted negotiations, the government has ditched the construction consortium it picked to build Christchurch's replacement convention centre, which it now anticipates delivering at least two years behind the original schedule. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: Greenpeace Launches Legal Challenge Against $1b Dam Plan

Greenpeace NZ is launching a legal challenge against a controversial plan to build a dam that’s set to cost close to $1 billion and will pollute a region’s rivers. More>>

ALSO:

Inequality: Top 10% Of Housholds Have Half Of Total Net Worth

The average New Zealand household was worth $289,000 in the year to June 2015, Statistics New Zealand said today. However wealth was not evenly distributed, with the top 10 percent accounting for around half of total wealth. In contrast, the bottom 40 percent held 3 percent of total wealth. More>>

ALSO:

What Winter? Temperature Records Set For June 20-22

The days around the winter soltice produced a number of notably warm tempertaures. More>>

Conservation Deal: New Kākāpō Recovery Partnership Welcomed

Conservation Minister Maggie Barry says the new kakapo recovery partnership between DOC and Meridian Energy is great news for efforts to save one of New Zealand’s most beloved birds. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news