News Video | Policy | GPs | Hospitals | Medical | Mental Health | Welfare | Search

 

UN On Second East Timor Attack

Extract From UN Press Briefing


For a second consecutive day, armed militia in East Timor have attacked a UN complex, leading the UN mission to temporarily relocate some staff stationed there to Dili, UN officials said Thursday.

Yesterday's attack in Vikeke follows an incident Tuesday in which about 200 militia threw rocks and severely damaged the UN electoral office in Maliana. One UN staff member and about a dozen local Timorese were injured.

According to UN officials in Dili, in the latest episode about 15 members of a militia surrounded and threatened UN staff at their residence. After a discussion between staff members and local police, which at some point involved a local militia leader, there seemed to be agreement that a similar incident would not happen again. However, shortly afterwards the militia showed up again, triggering the decision to temporarily relocate the electoral officers. Seven other staff, including UN civilian police and a security officer, remain behind.

At a news conference in Dili, the spokesman for the UN Mission in East Timor (UNAMET), David Wimhurst, said that the chief of security for UNAMET had been dispatched to Vikeke and would meet with local police officers.

The UN hoped that the situation would stabilize and staff could return to their work, Mr. Wimhurst said. In the meantime, UNAMET would report the situation to UN Headquarters in New York, where Secretary-General Kofi Annan could eventually make his own assessment of the security situation in East Timor.

In response to a question, Mr. Wimhurst said the UN was not considering provisions to arm its civilian police. "The Indonesian police are mandated to protect us and that situation is not going to change," he said.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 


Howard Davis Review: Tarantino's Pitch-Perfect Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood

Welcome back to the violent and misogynistic, yet always entertaining world of Quentin Tarantino, who this time around focuses his dyspeptic lens on Tinseltown's pimply backside. More>>


Westpac Exiting Cake Tin: Stadium Announces Naming Rights Agreement With Sky

Wellington Regional Stadium Trust (WRST) and Sky Network Television Ltd (Sky) have announced a new partnership that will see Sky secure the naming rights of the Stadium from 1 January 2020. More>>

ALSO:

ASB Classic: Serena Williams Confirmed For 2020

One of the biggest names in sport has confirmed she will be returning to the ASB Classic in 2020. Twenty-three time Grand Slam singles champion Serena Williams will return to Auckland’s ASB Tennis Arena to challenge for the ASB Classic title. More>>


Netball: Taurua To Coach Silver Ferns Through Two More Campaigns

Netball New Zealand has confirmed Taurua will guide the Silver Ferns as they take on the Australian Diamonds in October’s Cadbury Netball Series (Constellation Cup), along with the Northern Quad Series in late January. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • CULTURE
  • HEALTH
  • EDUCATION
 
 
  • Wellington
  • Christchurch
  • Auckland