Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Unite union applauds ban on migrant workers at Burger King

Unite union applauds ban on migrant workers at Burger King

By John Braddock and Tom Peters, Socialist Equality Group (original url http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2018/09/15/unit-s15.html)
15 September 2018


In a statement that underscores the reactionary, nationalist politics of the trade unions, New Zealand’s Unite union last month endorsed a decision by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) to ban Antares Restaurant Group, which owns the Burger King fast food chain, from hiring migrant workers for a year.

Burger King has 83 restaurants and employs some 2,600 staff in New Zealand. The migrant worker ban applies to all stores, except one at Auckland Airport.

The MBIE put the company on its stand-down list for breaching the Minimum Wage Act. Under a 2017 amendment to immigration regulations by the previous National Party government, employers who breach labour laws can be barred from recruiting migrant workers. Penalised employers face a stand-down period from supporting a foreign worker’s visa application.

Earlier this year, the Employment Relations Authority (ERA) ordered Burger King to pay Auckland worker Drew Desai $3,500 in a case brought by the Unite union. Desai worked at the New Lynn Burger King from 2015 to late 2017, when she resigned. She was on a salary of $37,500. Across three fortnights in mid-2017, she worked more than her contracted 90 hours per fortnight. Because Desai’s salary was barely above the minimum wage, working additional hours brought her below the minimum hourly rate.

Most Burger King store managers are employed on just $16.88 per hour, just 38 cents above the legal minimum, and salaried workers are often expected to work unpaid overtime. Burger King’s NZ workers have struck several times this year demanding higher pay and improved conditions.

In a statement issued on August 29, Unite national secretary Gerard Hehir enthusiastically welcomed the government’s ban on Burger King. He said: “Employers who steal from their employees need to be sent a very clear message. Banning them from employing vulnerable migrant workers is a good start. If an employer is not able to guarantee the most basic minimum conditions allowed by law, they should not be able to hire vulnerable workers.”

The union’s position is an utter travesty. It is workers, not the company, who are being punished by this reactionary law. The ban on migrant workers will do nothing to improve the lot of fast food workers. Burger King will simply find other workers to exploit. Migrant workers face the prospect of loss of access to work visas in a decision that sets an alarming precedent.

Hehir hypocritically said the union was “concerned” that existing migrant workers would no longer be able to renew their visas. Speaking to Newstalk ZB, however, he downplayed the ban, saying “it won’t have a huge impact.” The union had six members who could be affected and “across the company there’s probably about 60, but some of them wouldn’t have wanted to renew their visas.” In other words, dozens of workers whose visa comes up for renewal in the next 12 months could lose their jobs and be forced to leave the country.

Unite is thus endorsing and applauding this attack on migrant workers by the Labour Party-NZ First-Greens coalition government. The union is merely asking the government to review the regulations and allow migrant workers sacked due to such bans to be granted open visas to help them get new employment. Whatever the outcome of any review, the government is sharply reducing overall immigration and imposing restrictions on the right of foreign students to work, with the support of the trade unions.

Like governments in the US, Europe and Australia, New Zealand’s Labour-led government is scapegoating migrants, especially those from Asia, for the deepening social crisis caused by capitalism, including unaffordable housing, poverty wages and unemployment. Efforts are being made to divide workers based on race and nationality in response to the growing working-class movement against austerity, including recent nationwide strikes by teachers and nurses.

Labour and its coalition partner, the anti-immigrant NZ First, have also sought to whip up anti-Chinese chauvinism in order to more closely align with the US military build-up against Beijing. Following last September’s election, Labour announced a ban on house purchases from overseas, promised to cut immigration by up to 40 percent and impose restrictions on Chinese investment.

This nationalist campaign is supported by the unions, which are seeking to divert attention from their own role in depressing the wages and living standards of the working class. Unite has established itself as the main mechanism for disciplining oppressed youth in the fast food, retail, hotel and entertainment sectors. It collaborates with rapacious employers, including Burger King, to enforce their exploitative conditions.

Unite’s national director Mike Treen, a former leader of the now-defunct Pabloite Socialist Action League, has previously admitted assisting the MBIE in vetting applications by employers seeking to bring in migrant workers. Unite lobbied the conservative National Party government to crack down on “hundreds of thousands” of temporary work visas, “low-skilled migrants” and foreign students “transitioning” into paid employment.

The Burger King case further exposes the reactionary role played by the pseudo-left Socialist Aotearoa (SA) group, which works closely with Unite. To distract attention from Unite’s anti-immigrant agenda and support for restricted migration, SA and its leader Joe Carolan, a senior organiser for Unite, posture as defenders of immigrants.

Leading figures in Unite, including Carolan, Hehir and Treen, played a key role in helping to found the Maori-nationalist Mana Party and campaigned for it in the 2011 and 2014 elections, falsely depicting it as pro-poor and even anti-capitalist. Mana promoted a policy of jobs for New Zealand residents before migrants and supported NZ First and Labour’s anti-Chinese campaigns.

In 2017, Mana leader Hone Harawira campaigned for the restoration of the death penalty, specifically for Chinese drug smugglers. Harawira’s racist policy did not prevent Unite’s leader Treen from endorsing his campaign for the Te Tai Tokerau electorate, praising his “feisty style in standing up for Maori and the poor” ( Daily Blog, September 20, 2017).

Demands to ban migrant workers, because they are supposedly responsible for undermining the wages of “New Zealand” workers or taking their jobs, date back to the founding of the Labour Party in 1916. Labour and the unions have for over a century agitated for harsher restrictions, including implementing a racist “white New Zealand policy” aimed against Asian and Polynesian peoples.

The anti-immigrant and pro-capitalist agenda of the unions—in a country where nearly a quarter of the population was born overseas—underscores the need for workers to break from them. The working class must establish new independent and democratically-controlled organisations, based on a socialist and internationalist program that defends workers’ rights to live where they choose, regardless of their nationality and without threat of deportation.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels