Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Memorial Park decision a victory for nation

NEWS RELEASE

7 August 2012

Memorial Park decision a victory for nation

Wellington Mayor Celia Wade-Brown and Deputy Mayor Ian McKinnon have welcomed today’s announcement that a Memorial Park befitting Wellington’s status as the capital of New Zealand will be created.

This morning, Prime Minister John Key announced the establishment of Memorial Park in front of the National War Memorial on Buckle Street. A key feature of the project will be a cut-and-cover of State Highway 1, to run beneath the park, to Taranaki Street.

“The establishment of an appropriate Memorial Park is a great outcome for Wellington and the nation,” said Mayor Wade-Brown.

“This is a victory for long term thinking about Memorial Park. I warmly congratulate the Prime Minister and his Cabinet colleagues for this outstanding decision and appreciate the bipartisan approach taken.

“The National War Memorial is New Zealand’s foremost commemorative site. As our capital, Wellington is the right place to reflect on the courage, sacrifice and achievements of our nation. Memorial Park will be special for all New Zealanders, a place of remembrance and contemplation.

“Today’s decision respects the area, and ensures the establishment of a lasting and appropriate memorial to all who have served our country,” she said.

Deputy Mayor and Lambton Ward Councillor Ian McKinnon says the decision provides benefits at three levels.

“For New Zealand, ensuring a Memorial Park for which all New Zealanders can be proud; For Wellington, a new CBD park with an outlook over the city and harbour; and for the locality, giving greater safety for pedestrians, particularly students at Massey University and Wellington High School, and the young people attending Mt Cook School. It will be a wonderful addition for the city in all respects.

“New Zealand will commemorate the centenary of Gallipoli in 2015 on ANZAC Day in a respectful setting that the nation, the city and our Australian colleagues can feel proud,” said Cr McKinnon.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Gordon Campbell: On The America’s Cup, Critical Race Theory And A New, Weekly Music Playlist

So… Why don’t they just cut to the chase, and call it the Emirates Cup? As this column predicted several months ago, the next America’s Cup challenge is headed overseas. Here’s what Werewolf said back in March:
Emirates has made a major commitment to Portsmouth/Isle of Wight as a sailing centre of excellence – and voila, that’s where the next challenger of record is coming from, and where the next Cup contest could well be sailed. Such incredible luck for Emirates, right..? More>>

 

Government: Plan For Vaccine Rollout For General Population Announced

New Zealanders over 60 will be offered a vaccination from July 28 and those over 55 from August 11, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced today... More>>

ALSO:



Government: America’s Cup Decision

The Minister responsible for the America’s Cup has confirmed the joint Crown-Auckland Council offer to host the next regatta has been declined by the Board of Team New Zealand... More>>

ALSO:


Jewish Council: New Zealand Not Immune From Rise In Antisemitism

The representative body of New Zealand Jewry, the NZ Jewish Council (NZJC), has expressed concern about the high number of antisemitic incidents in New Zealand recorded last month. Spokesperson for the NZJC, Juliet Moses, said... More>>

NZNO: Nurses Reject DHB Offer And Confirm Strike Action

The New Zealand Nurses Organisation says its 30,000 members who work in DHBs have voted overwhelmingly to reject a second offer in their current round of multi-employer collective agreement (MECA) negotiations... More>>

ALSO:


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels