Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Cordon management and access, 2 March 2011

Cordon management and access, 2 March 2011 11:15am

Plans are progressing to allow people to retrieve vehicles abandoned within the CBD cordon after last week’s earthquake, and for limited access to some buildings.

Threats to personal safety remain the main reason behind the continuing restrictions on access through the cordon. However, Civil Defence is planning how to provide business owners and residents with limited supervised access to their property inside the cordon.

For safety reasons, access will be for a strictly limited period and will be closely controlled. It will allow business owners to retrieve records and portable equipment, and let residents collect personal items. Owners of vehicles within the cordon may also be able to retrieve them, depending on where they are and whether they are undamaged.

This work will be done in stages, starting with the least affected areas in the CBD.

Access will not be granted to areas where the greatest risk remains from unstable buildings, or where rescue and recovery efforts are still underway.

Affected residents and business owners can expect to start hearing from authorities within the next 48 hours.

There are buildings inside the current CBD cordon that have been identified as dangerous. These buildings may have to be demolished or strengthened and this is work that requires careful management.

We appreciate the frustration of affected residents and business owners but will not permit activity that poses a threat to personal safety, so we ask for patience.

USAR and Police teams working inside and around the cordon area have done a second sweep search of some of the red placarded buildings where they believed people may have been inside. They have also entered yellow and green placarded buildings where other hazards were suspected. This sweep required USAR teams, with Police present, to open locked doors and windows to gain access.

Where required, locksmiths and security alarm contractors are called on to facilitate access. Upon completion the buildings are secured. The Christchurch City Council has now engaged a contractor to work with USAR
and Police teams to secure buildings.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Mt Eden Prison: Serco Inquiry Extended

A two month delay to the Government investigation into prison fight clubs shows the extent of problems within the Serco circus, says Labour’s Corrections spokesperson Kelvin Davis. More>>

ALSO:

Health And Safety: Late Addition Of National Security Provisions A Concern

The New Zealand Law Society has expressed its significant concerns at the last-minute addition to the Health and Safety Reform Bill of provisions for a closed material procedure for court proceedings where national security is involved. More>>

ALSO:

Rugby And Beer: World Cup Alcohol Bill Passes

ACT MP David Seymour’s Sale and Supply of Alcohol (Extended licensing hours during Rugby World Cup) Bill completed its third reading by 99 to 21... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Flag Campaign

So far, the public has treated the government’s flag campaign with something between disinterest and disdain. Most New Zealanders have instinctively seen through the marketing hype involved. More>>

Change For 2017: Local Govt To Decide On Easter Sunday Trading

The Government is to enable local communities, through councils, to decide whether retailers can open on Easter Sunday, Workplace Relations and Safety Minister Michael Woodhouse announced. More>>

ALSO:

(And Targets Worse Than Australia's): Foresters Abandoning Emissions Trading Scheme

The Government’s gutting of the Emissions Trading Scheme has caused foresters to leave and emissions to rise, says Labour’s Climate Change spokesperson Megan Woods. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news