Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Leaky Homes ‘rescue package’ a giant step

17 May 2010

Leaky Homes ‘rescue package’ a giant step in the right direction, but must be fair on super city ratepayers, says North Shore Mayor

The government’s leaky-homes rescue package released today is a giant step in the right direction with the government finally accepting their fair share of responsibility for this man-made national disaster, North Shore Mayor Andrew Williams said today.

“Central government has been in denial for years, but this government has finally accepted there is a moral duty for them to front up with their fair share of responsibility for the cost of fixing the leaky-homes disaster resulting from the deregulation of the building industry in the early 1990s,” Mayor Williams said.

“This is a giant step for any government to take, and for this alone Prime Minister John Key and Building and Construction Minister Maurice Williamson deserve our thanks. The government deserves a ‘pat on the back’ for bringing down a rescue package that will genuinely start to put this on-going nightmare behind us. ”

“When talks broke down before Christmas last year, we gave our negotiators, John Banks and Kerry Prendergast, clear instructions that the government’s then 10 percent offer was derisory and insulting, and needed to more closely match the contribution from local government, and to their credit, they have managed to get the deal across the line.”

“Once the details become clearer, the task before both central and local government is to do what we can to help the thousands of leaky-homes victims navigate their way through the rescue package and to arrive at the most satisfactory outcome for them and their families,” Mayor Williams said.

Mayor Williams said that as a result of the government’s rescue package the attention of local government leaders across greater Auckland must now focus on working through the cost implications for ratepayers under the new super city.

“The new Auckland Council will inherit massive exposure to the costs of the rescue package, running into the billions of dollars, and likely to show up in the rates bills of the regions ratepayers before too long,” Mayor Williams said.

“Around 77 percent of the country’s leaky-homes with active claims before the Department of Building and Housing are located in greater Auckland, however they are not uniformly spread across the region.”

“Nearly 70 percent of these are located in the current Auckland City Council area, with around 15 percent located on the North Shore, and around 12 percent in Waitakere. Only 4 percent are in Manukau, and virtually none are in Papakura, Rodney and Franklin.”

“Yet the ratepayers of each of these areas will most likely be asked to help pick up the tab to fix these leaky-homes under the government’s rescue package deal, leaving many ratepayers with a justifiable sense that they have been unfairly treated.

“We need to carefully work through the implications of these realities. If the government’s estimates that there are up to 89,000 leaky-homes across the country prove to be correct, this could mean that there might be nearly 70,000 leaky-homes in greater Auckland, mostly in Auckland City but also on the North Shore and in Waitakere.”

“We need to work out a fair and robust formula to apportion the cost of fixing these leaky-homes across super city ratepayers under the government’s rescue package, so we are not creating anomalies that could see less affluent communities hit hard with significant rates rises in the near future to fund the package,” Mayor Williams said.

Number of individual properties with active leaky homes claims as at April 30, 2010:

Auckland City 1,916
North Shore City 427
Manukau City 120
Waitakere City 359
Papakura District 0
Rodney District 78
Franklin District 6
Greater Auckland 2,906
National total: 3,764

Source: Department of Building and Housing

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Dutton 'Gone': Time For Australia To Reconsider On Refugees

Hard line Australian immigration Minister Peter Dutton’s move to the backbench should reopen a conversation about refugees on Nauru coming to New Zealand, Green MP Golriz Ghahraman has said today.

“Australia has a unique opportunity now that Peter Dutton has moved to the backbench.

“There are 119 children on Nauru who are languishing in despair. Every day spent in detention is another day robbed of their childhood and a safe and nurturing environment.” More>>

 

Maximum $100 Fine: AA Cautiously Welcomes Clamping Regulation

The AA has been calling for years for the private parking sector to be regulated, including banning the practice of wheel clamping. More>>

ALSO:

Ardern Speech: Justice Summit Opens

If we want to talk about an effective justice system, we shouldn’t start with a discussion about prisons, but a discussion about New Zealand... More>>

ALSO:

NZDF: New Chiefs Of Navy, Army And Air Force

“I’m delighted to announce that following approval by Cabinet, Commodore David Proctor, Brigadier John Boswell and Air Commodore Andrew Clark have been appointed by the Governor-General to lead their respective Services,” says Ron Mark. More>>

ALSO:

Christchurch Quake: New Red Zone Payment For Uninsured

The Government will pay former residential red zone owners 100% of the 2007/08 rateable value for uninsured homes, Minister Megan Woods has announced today. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On MP Pay And The REAL P.C. Danger Zone

There has never been anything remotely credible about the way parliamentarians would paint themselves as the helpless victims of the Remuneration Authority when it came to their pay increases... More>>

ALSO:

Repatriation: Remains Of NZ Service People Return Home

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and Minister for Veterans Ron Mark say they were honoured to be with the families of service personnel as they welcomed their loved ones home. More>>

ALSO:

Cop Shop Top-Up: 1800 New Police Through NZ

Police Commissioner Mike Bush has today confirmed further details around the allocation of the 1800 additional officers, following a $298.8 million increase for Police in Budget 2018... “These 1800 officers, alongside 485 support staff, will really enhance our work to keep people safe, and ensure they feel safe,” says Mr Bush. More>>

ALSO:

Human Right Commissions: Concern On Aged Care And Consent

A new report published by the Human Rights Commission raises concerns about the legal and human rights safeguards for an estimated 5000 elderly New Zealanders in secure dementia units and psychogeriatric facilities. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages