Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

12% Of Kiwi Homes Left Unlocked

As we head into one of the peak times of the year for break-ins, financial research and comparison site Finder has some data on the most common home protection used by Kiwis as well as some comments on how to protect your home this holiday season.

Stats:

  • A nationally representative survey of 2,001 New Zealanders aged 18 and above found that 88% of Kiwis lock their door, leaving 12% who do not.
  • That’s equivalent to 218,880 households not taking necessary safety precautions and leaving themselves vulnerable to break-ins.
  • The second most commonly used home protection is house and contents insurance with 64% of Kiwi households having an insurance policy.
  • Rounding out the top three is having locks on windows (52%).
  • Worryingly, only one in three (37%) have alarms – leaving 1.1 million households without the added security measure.
  • Other home security measures Kiwis are taking include locking their garage with their car inside (48%) and deadbolts (26%).
  • According to New Zealand Police data, there were approximately 13,084 burglaries in New Zealand over the two months between December 2019 – January 2020. That’s equal to nearly a quarter (24%) of the 55,179 burglaries that have occurred over the past year.


Commentary from Kevin McHugh, Finder’s publisher in New Zealand

  • “As we navigate the holiday season, it’s important not to become complacent with our home security.
  • “We often see a spike in burglaries over the holiday season.
  • “Vacant homes left behind by holiday-makers can become more vulnerable to break-ins.
  • “ The knowledge of gifts being hoarded in the home for Christmas can also be an enticing target for would-be burglars.
  • “It’s encouraging to see Kiwis engaging in a wide range of home security measures but often the little things can have the biggest impact.
  • “Remember to lock your doors and windows when you leave the house, and keep items of value out of view as best as possible – particularly if you’re going on holiday.
  • “While it can’t prevent a break-in, having home and contents insurance gives you the peace of mind that some items can be replaced and eases the financial burden of a break-in.
  • “House insurance will cover you for any structural damage to your property, along with any items that are permanently attached to your home like windows and doors.
  • “On the other hand, contents cover your personal items. This includes things like furniture, electronics and jewellery.
  • “To help find a policy that’s right for you, head to Finder to compare house and contents insurance options for free,” McHugh said.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Demise Of The Tokyo Olympics

As the Covid vaccines roll out around the world, the Tokyo Olympics are looming as a major test of when (and whether) something akin to global normality can return – to international travel, to global tourism, to professional sport and to mass gatherings of human beings. Currently though, it looks like a forlorn hope that Japan will be able to host the Olympics in late July. Herd immunity on any significant scale seems possible only by December 2021, at the earliest... More>>

 

New Zealand Government: Cook Islanders To Resume Travel To New Zealand

The Prime Minister of New Zealand Jacinda Ardern and the Prime Minister of the Cook Islands Mark Brown have announced passengers from the Cook Islands can resume quarantine-free travel into New Zealand from 21 January, enabling access to essential services such ... More>>

ALSO:

A New Year: No politicians at Rātana in 2021

Annual celebrations at Rātana pā will be different this year, amid a decision to hold an internal hui for church adherents only… More>>

ALSO:

Government: Pre-Departure Testing Extended To All Passengers To New Zealand

To further protect New Zealand from COVID-19, the Government is extending pre-departure testing to all passengers to New Zealand except from Australia, Antarctica and most Pacific Islands, COVID-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins said today. More>>

ALSO:

Covid: Border Exception for 1000 International Students

The Government has approved an exception class for 1000 international tertiary students, degree level and above, who began their study in New Zealand but were caught offshore when border restrictions began....More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels